Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

In the blink of an eye...

I received a call on Sunday afternoon from one of my older brothers....  Our parents had been in an automobile accident.  They were coming back home to Florida from Georgia when a vehicle made an illegal turn in front of them.  Our parents were being taken by ambulance to a hospital an hour and a half from where I live.  After a moment of panic and distress, I pulled myself together, and started my journey to go to my parents.  My dad had told my brother that he was okay, but he wasn't so sure about mom, who was having chest pains.  I wasn't really sure what I might find when I got there.  As I was driving, I was praying....crying......scared.  I ran into the ER asking where I could find my parents.  A girl working there walked me back to the room where my parents were.  Well at least my dad was there.  He looked very fragile.  His clothes were covered with blood, and his hands and arms were bandaged.  They were badly bruised as well.  I hugged him, and asked about my mom.  He told me that she was still undergoing tests.  When they returned her to the room, she was laying on one of those boards you see when someone is in a bad accident, with the head strap to keep the victim still........No moving in the event there was a neck or back injury.  She was clearly distraught and in pain.  After the tests came back, the ER doctor decided to keep my mom.  Over the rest of Sunday and all day Monday.....I watched my parents....  (If you have been following my blog, you know I recently blogged about my parents celebrating their 59th anniversary) and even though I know my dad didn't feel good himself, him sole existence during this time was to make sure my mom was going to be okay.  He was constantly taking care of her.  He would rub her hair back, he would make sure she was covered up, he would get her water, and a cold cloth to lay on her head.  He never rested.  I looked over one time and noticed that my brother was watching like I was.  He caught me looking over at him, and when our eyes met, I knew he was thinking the same thing I was.  How fortunate we are to have this amazing man and woman in our lives, and even more proud to call them mom and dad.  Although I would never want to experience something like this again, that day and a half spent with my parents and brother was a time I will cherish in my heart for the rest of my life.  Making memories......  That is what it is all about.  Being thankful for the blessings in your life.  Sharing all of it.  I am so thankful that things did not turn out worse with my parents.  God listened to my prayers and many other's prayers.  AND he answered them.  My parents are now safely back in their house.  My brother is staying with them to take care of them.  I will be there with them as much as I can as well.  I noticed when I went down to their house tonight that my dad hugged me and held on for dear life.  He told me he loved me and thanked me for being there for them, and helping them.  He still looks fragile, and my mom who was in bed looks so frail.  I am so in awe of my parents.  They are the epitome of the classic love story.  I am so happy and thankful to still have my parents.  It's been a rough couple of days, but life is good!!  I say this a lot on my Facebook wall.  Remember to never pass up a chance to tell those you love just how much they mean to you.  Because in the blink of an eye you could lose it all.

Peace! 

No comments: