Total Pageviews

Saturday, September 10, 2011

That's what I'm talking about.......

I haven't been here in a while, but I couldn't think of a better way to return than to dedicate this post to the most amazing couple on this earth.  Today......my mom and dad will celebrate their 59th wedding anniversary. 

My parents were both from poor southern families, my mom from Georgia and my dad from Florida.  My grandpa and grandma moved their family to Florida, and this is where my mom and dad's paths crossed.  My mom's family lived in a little wood framed house provided by the man who owned the farm my grandpa worked on.  My dad worked in the orange groves picking fruit.  Everyday the truck that took my dad into the groves would pass by my mom's house.  She used to run out on the front porch to watch and wave as my dad went by.  He was 17 and she was 15.  My mom told me that my grandma told her one day that he was older and probably married with 6 children.  When my mom told me that story I thought how ironic.  They got married and had 6 children.  Yes, my parents married when he was just 17 and she was just 15.  They became parents at 18 and 16.  Today, 59 years later and 6 children they are still going strong.  By today's standards that is rare.....

I believe the foundation of their marriage was built on the family values that they were raised with, lots of love and God.  They started out in a little one room building with a bathroom.  Then built a small home out in front of that little building.  Then they added onto that, and along came the pool.  That little building they started out in became my dad's office.  He was no longer working in the citrus groves, but was a drywall contractor.  He went through the ups and downs of with the rest of the country.  I thought because we lived in a big beautiful home with a pool that we were rich.  What I didn't realize then was that my dad worked very very hard to give us the big home with all the extras.  I could not even imagine what he and my mom went through, raising 6 children.  The clothes, food, doctor's visits, but somehow they got by.  I only ever seen my parents argue one time when I was younger.  I was in high school.  I rember that my parents had placed our house up for sale.  The Realtors would bring people in all the time with no warning.  One day this happened, and my mom was not ready for it.  We had these salt and pepper shakers on the table.  One was red and the other was yellow.  My mom and dad were having a discussion over the Realtors while my mom was clearing the table.  Something was said, and my put down the shakers with the red one sliding too far.  It shattered, and that was the end of it.  My dad let the Realtor know that they could only come by appointment only or within a certain time frame.  Things calmed back down after that.  Not without me first going through the whole thing of I think my parents are getting a divorce.  I saw the yellow shaker that my mom still has.  Everytime I look at it I have to laugh.  My dad worked a lot, but we always sat down for dinner together as a family, and we always went to church together.

More recently, I am seeing as my parents get older that their love is more evident.  When either one of them are sick or have been hospitalized the other one is right there.  They seem like that would be lost without each other.  They are still very affectionate with one another.  They hug and kiss, and there is no loss on the "I love you's".  Love just doesn't happen like that anymore.  For whatever reasons people just don't look at love and realationships today.  But I am so proud of my mom and dad.......  I love them dearly.......

Happy Anniversary mom and Dad!!!  You guys have set the bar for many.  I love you guys.......  Thank you for being there for us kids.....  I look forward to many mroe holidays with you........

No comments: